Autumn is here, and we’re rejoicing in all things pumpkin and holiday-related!
As much as we love this time of year, between holiday events (and treats!) and extra stress, we may find that our goals and healthy habits are harder to stay on top of.
Not to worry, we’ve got just the tips you need to fall into fitness instead of off track!
1. Take advantage of the cooler weather. From the cool, crisp air, to the seasonal flavors and scents of apple and pumpkin, autumn is a treat for the senses. Enjoy the break from the heat and take advantage of outdoor walks, running, biking, and other workouts!
2. Don’t skip meals. Blood sugar crashes can leave you feeling tired, stressed, and cranky - and wreak havoc on your metabolism. Keep your mood and metabolism going strong by eating regularly.
3. Be picky about your splurges. ’Tis the season for all things delicious. That doesn’t mean we have to partake in all of it. Be choosy about what you indulge in, prioritize what’s really special - and enjoy it mindfully.
4. Remember the 30 day rule. Commit yourself to your workout and nutrition plan for 30 days. Research shows that after a month, behavior patterns adapt, making it easier to stick with.
5. Plan ahead. Pack healthy lunches, plan ahead for dinner, and never go to a party or event hungry. Laying a solid nutritional foundation will set you up for success.
6. Stay hydrated. Did you know that dehydration ca make you feel hungrier, plus impact energy and mood? Plan ahead and make sure to get your recommended daily water intake. If you’re going to an event or something special, try alternating cocktails with water.
7. Remember your vitamins. Nutritional deficiencies are quite common due to the Standard American Diet. Additionally, eating a lot of sugar can further deplete nutrients. Common nutritional deficiencies include vitamins B, C and D, calcium, chromium, magnesium, and omega-3 fatty acids. Be sure to consult with your doctor or nutritionist if you have specific concerns.
8. Aim for the 3 C’s. Commitment, consistency, and convenience are the keys to staying on track. Commit to your fitness and nutrition plan. Choose a program, schedule, and program you can be consistent with. Plan ahead and set things up to make things more convenient, like choosing a gym that is near your home or office.
9. Embrace seasonal flavors. When fruits and vegetables are in season that tend to be richer in both flavor and nutrients. What’s more, many fall foods are low in calories - and high in taste! Pumpkin, butternut squash, apples, pears, Brussels sprouts, and spaghetti squash are a few of our faves!
10. Find your motivation. Dig deep and find your personal “why” to create success and keep you going. Be aware that motivation can waver at times, which is when accountability and discipline are your best friends. We offer accountability as part of our three-tiered approach to fitness and weight loss. Contact us to learn more!