Thanksgiving Sides With A Healthy Twist!
3 large apples Honeycrisp, Braeburn, or empire are best
1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
1/4 cup pecans chopped
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ginger
1 tablespoon coconut oil melted
1 tablespoon maple syrup
1/4 cup apple cider or water
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Core apples. See the above graphic - slice the tops of the apples flat and +remove the stem with a sharp knife. Cut about 1/2 the way down to remove the seeds from the center. You can peel the apples but we prefer to keep the skin on.
3. Grease an oven-safe baking dish with cooking spray or coconut oil (8x8 will work best), and place the apples in the dish.
4. In a bowl combine oats, pecans, and spices. Add in melted coconut oil + maple syrup. Stir to combine.
5. Place apples in the baking dish. Divide the oat mixture evenly among the center of the apples, pressing the filling in towards the center of the apples.
6. Pour apple cider or water into the bottom of the baking dish. Cover apples with foil and bab for about 30 minutes, making sure to baste the apples with the cider every 5-10 minutes. Uncover the apples for the last 5 minutes.